- Connect a Loran-C 100 kHz loop or whip antenna to the rear ANTENNA
input. Or if you're within hundreds of miles from the transmitter a few feet
of unshielded wire might do the trick.
- Connect a frequency standard to the rear EXT REF input (the 2100F has
no internal reference). The standard doesn't have to be atomic; anything
accurate to 1E-9 or better will work.
- Fold open the front cover using the two thumbscrews and set the tiny
on-off-on toggle switch near the left side of the lowest PCB for 1, 10,
5 MHz, respectively, to match your external standard frequency.
- Power up the unit with the rear on-off switch.
- The display will show E1002048 followed by E-20 followed by a clock
display counting seconds from 00:00:00.
- If you press BACKLIGHT a blue-green LCD backlight should glow for a
- On the West coast press 99400 and press GRI or in the Midwest press 89700
and press GRI. The usec LED should illuminate.
- Press 1 and press ACQ. The acquire LED should go on.
- In a few minutes the settle LED should go on.
- Press STATUS and press 3. The dB LED will go on and the LCD shows signal
- In 10 to 30 minutes the tracking LED will turn green.
- STATUS 0 - front panel switches enable
- STATUS 1 - front panel lockout
- STATUS 2 - noise number (e.g., 42)
- STATUS 3 - receiver gain (e.g., 85 dB)
- STATUS 4 - time constant (e.g., 2)
- STATUS 5 - clock display
- STATUS 6 - receiver status bits (e.g., -----E)
- STATUS 7 - net phase delay (0.12 usec)
- STATUS 8 - elapsed time (e.g., 3601 seconds)
- STATUS 9 - not implemented
- If the LCD shows --HELP-- press CLEAR.
- The status bits, left to right, are: Acquisition in progress, Loss of
reference, Low SNR, Station blinking, Tracking locked, Not yet in tracking
- Type 0 STATUS 6 to reset the status register.
- Type HHMMSS STATUS 5 to set the clock.
- Press the FREQ OFFSET key to see the current measured frequency difference
between the external reference and the Loran-C station. You'll see something
like E12 -9.8 meaning the external reference frequency is low by 9.8E-12
relative to the Loran-C standard.